"The moral duty of the free writer is to begin his work at home: to be a critic of his own community, his own country, his own government, his own culture"~Edward Abbey

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Today was a good day...

This morning my dad and I dropped off our yard waste at the town compost pile (yes I live in a place with a town compost pile). However we were forced to take a less direct route by the mass of people known as the womens' society annual Waddle Fest (it involves duck racing)!

After that we took the recycling to the recycling center. I love the recycling center. It is essentially a shanty town with designated spots for plastic's 1-7 as well as almost anything else. My favorite part is that they have a junkyard peacock named PETE (get it?), PETE likes to forage. The great thing about the recycling center is that it brings ex-hippies, Prius driving soccer mom's, and me togethor. It's also nice to go places with your paretns where they know everyone's name.

Then I set about my goal of reading "How Soccer Explains the World: an Unlikely Theory of Globalization " by Franklin Foer. I reccomedn this book as a great read (especially if like me you know little about soccer). However if you know little about globalization it might be alittle confusing.

He uses case studies from soccer (corruption in brazil, American Culture wars, Glasgow protestant/catholic hooliganism) to explain characteristics of globablization. Te book is full excellent examples of archetypes of globablizations diferent effects.

As always anyone moved to by the book should get it here. Tell them that they you heard of it here and they...well care!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nate read that one.

Ross

9:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home