"The moral duty of the free writer is to begin his work at home: to be a critic of his own community, his own country, his own government, his own culture"~Edward Abbey

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Another new name?!

Yes I am a finniky one when it comes to blog names. My original title (the Susquehanna Review) captured a good mix of pretentiousness and a desire to be a somewhat "local" writer. The second one (Dirt, Flesh and Stone)was supposedly the thematic structure of the book I am allegaldy writing. But, in the end it sounded more like the title of a tour video for some weird agrarian goth band which likes to mix druid mythology with unsettling orclike symbolism. So, that wouldn't work either.

My new title has been kicking around in my head for quite sometime now. And i have slowly been developing a logic for the title which inevitably will include Wendell Berry and my understanding of what it means to be an american protestant. For now I offer this quote from the book Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton which was graciously loaned to me by the Ellis-Hennesy's my second favorite married couple to which I am not related too.

"A man longs for this world before he begins to ask if it is nice to belong to it. He has fought for the flag, and often won heroic vicotries for the flag long before he has ever enlisted. To put shortly what seems the essential matter, he has a loyality long before he has any admiration...My acceptance of the universe is not optimism it is patriotism. It is a matter of primary loyality."

tomorrow the commonwealth!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love GK Chesterton.

2:16 PM

 
Blogger Matt Lyke said...

thank you anonymous commenter!

3:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home