"The moral duty of the free writer is to begin his work at home: to be a critic of his own community, his own country, his own government, his own culture"~Edward Abbey

Sunday, January 29, 2006

A Life on Earth

Today I laid in bed through church.
I waited for her to call me.
I walked along the Susquehanna as the fog settled over it and couples walked their dogs.
A kid who was probably about fifteen gave me a free coffee refill in my favorite mug as if it was the only reasonable thing he could think to do.
I listened to a large somewhat scary man offer his opinion on the Paris Hilton sex tape "It wasn't worth $29".
I compassionately listened to the editor of "the alternative" say how writers get mad when he makes them sound like Ernest Hemmingway.
I read this: Most people now are looking for "a better place," which means that a lot of them end up in a worse one. I think this is what Nathan learned from his time in the army and the war. He saw a lot of places, and he came home. I think he gave up the idea that there is a better place somewhere else. There is no "better place" than this, not in this world. And it is by the place we've got, and our love for it and our keeping of it, that this world is joined to Heaven. ~Hannah Coulter

C'est la vie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home