"The moral duty of the free writer is to begin his work at home: to be a critic of his own community, his own country, his own government, his own culture"~Edward Abbey

Friday, November 25, 2005

Thanksgiving
If you know me at all (which would be your only reason for reading this) you know that I am bad at being jaded. I try to cultivate a healthy skepticism to resist our cultures drive towards complacency and delusion. But...I love thanksgiving. I love the food, the football on tv, the begining of the Christmas season, and the long string of left overs. But, really I love my famliy. I love the many years of different famliy and friends who have been to our house for Thanksgiving, the many boardgames shared, and funny stories accumulated. Maybe I should be experiencing some sort of aloof disdain for the kitschier aspects of America's only semi-Christian holiday or sadness at our betrayal of the Native Americans who sustained the pilgrims. But, there is a time for that. Today nearing the end of two days off from work, with only a short day tomorrow and more time off before a regular work week, drinking a very nice IPA, watching That '70s show with my parents, feeling physically comfortable, rested, and very much at home. I am thankfull.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home